Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Friday, June 3, 2011

5k Friday - Graeme edition

Yesterday was the last day of school.  I was sitting in my car waiting for the kids and the song "Walking on Sunshine" came on the radio.  Suddenly Graeme came out of the school (all the way on the other side of the playground), did a little leap of joy, and proceeded to dance from the school to my car.  The best part was, he was completely in time with the song that I was listening to!  It was such a happy, spontaneous thing that I just smiled the rest of the day.

So why does that matter?  Because Graeme is 9 years old today and there have been countless little, joyful experiences like that in his life and I'm sure there will be countless more in the years to come.  The question is:  will I be around to enjoy them?

Today I have a gigantic list of things that need to be done but I took that hour and a half to go to the gym and run my 5k.  I did it for Graeme.  I didn't want to do it, I was tired and had other things to do, but I thought of Graeme's dance yesterday and how badly I want to be here for him as long as I possibly can.  It seems counterintuitive to say that spending time away from my children is the best thing for them, but in this case it really is.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be thin, but I'm starting to realize that being as healthy as I possibly can is a much better goal.

So I went to the gym and jogged my 5k, walked another mile and lifted weights.  For Graeme and all the other really important people in my life.  Who matters to you?  Who do you want to live for?

1 comment:

Pat said...

And the youth shall lead us. Isn't that so true? What a good motivator he was. We all need those kind of reminders. What a great one!