Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Friday, February 6, 2009

I Spoke Too Soon, Of Course

First, Kai had a major accident in his pants today and he hasn't gone on the potty even once. Sigh.

Second, my medical experiences. I received a rather discouraging phone call from the new doctor's office yesterday. My blood test came back in the normal range which means that the doctor isn't interested in changing my dose of synthetic thyroid hormone. The nurse told me something along these lines: "In these cases, we treat according to the blood test results and not according to the symptoms." As a result, yesterday was not a good day for me. She might as well have said: "For the rest of your life, no matter how much you exercise and eat right, you can plan on a steady (significant) weight gain with all of the obesity related health risks, constant pain, reduced mental functioning, increasing cholesterol levels, cold intolerance, chronic dry skin, irritability, insomnia, fatigue and debilitating depression. Oh, and don't plan on any support from doctors or society because in our eyes, all your problems are the direct result of your own stupidity and laziness." Like I said, not a good day.

So today I did a little more research and found out a number of interesting things. Apparently I was hallucinating when I thought my dose was higher. According to the pharmacy they don't make my medication in that dose. Now I feel even more stupid than I did before. I also discovered that doctors test for the level of the Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) not the actual hormones produced by the thyroid. This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me since the medication that I take is a replacement for the hormones that the thyroid is supposed to be producing. I mean, I realize that if the TSH is high, that means the thyroid isn't functioning properly and the body is attempting to stimulate it, but that seems like a really backwards way to go about finding the problem. Finally, I discovered that calcium supplements and a high-fiber diet can interfere with the absorption of the thyroid replacement medication.
I don't know. I just don't know what to do.

I do think that, feeling the way that I do at this moment, I need to find some things to be grateful for. So, today I am most grateful for:
Enough money in the bank to take the van to the shop
The giant box of diapers that I just bought at Sam's Club
and
A husband who's willing to make a doctor's appointment for me because my self-esteem is so low that I can't do it myself.

6 comments:

Anna Dutson said...

Wow! I had a lot of blogs to catch up on! I'm sorry you've been having such a rough time!

I really enjoyed your visit to the hospital (although I was quite out of it when you were there!) Thanks for all the stuff you brought us, the burp rags have really come in handy as well as the blankets and stuffed animals for the boys!

You are an amazing woman! I hope you feel better soon!

sues2u2 said...

Oh, I'm sorry about Kai's accident. That is tough for everybody.

I'm so glad that you keep researching & looking into this. I will be really interested in knowing what the other dr says but then you already know that.

Yeah for things to be grateful for!

Pat said...

I sure feel your pain where your thyroid is concerned. I as you know have struggled with this forever. Except for the time Dr. Warden helped me feel so much better. I sure wish you could find another dr that could help out. My doc now, also doesn't believe in giving anything higher but I don't have the many problems you have. I wish I could give you some encouragement but just know I love you as does your Dad and we will always be there for you.

Love ya,

Rebecca said...

Steph, maybe you should consider a different Doctor opinion. There is no one who will care more about your personal health than you, and if you're still having questions about what the heck is really going on, you should seek those answers. In my experience, doctors and their practices vary as much as the weather. I have an excellent family physician if you're ever looking for a referral...
Hang in there. You're an amazing woman.

Rebecca said...

*I left a comment, but it gave me an error, so forgive me if I leave two now! I think you should get another opinion. No one will care more about your health and well-being than you, so if you're unsure about what to do next, find a doctor who WILL listen to you and will give you the answers you seek. I have an amazing family physician whom I trust completely -if you're looking for a referral, just let me know.

Keep your head up. You're an amazing woman.

Unknown said...

It' so fun to catch up with you guys through your blog. Someday I'll be in Cache Valley with a moment of free time and we'll have to get together.

I hope you're feeling better. My pregnancy emotions are driving me crazy so I can't imagine how you're feeling. I had an amazing doctor in VA, but unfortunately don't have any utah recommendations for you.