Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, October 14, 2010

An athlete's heart

Yesterday I had my annual go to the doctor to be insulted, poked, prodded and drained dry appointment.  I have hypothyroidism so I have to have a blood test every year and my doctor insists on a physical even though I'm pretty sure she hates fat people.  Maybe she's just doing it for the money. Hmmmmm.....

Anyway, I was really not looking forward to going because I've gained back 20 of the 40 pounds I lost last year and didn't want to hear any snarky comments from my beloved doctor.  I was also a little worried about my blood pressure since I'm gaining weight again.  The thing is, I do strenuous aerobic exercise 4 to 5 times a week as well as walking 3 to 4 times a week.  So I guess I shouldn't have been surprised when my resting heart rate was 52 bpm (excellent, by the way) and my blood pressure was 120 over 70 (exactly where it should be for a woman my age).  I think the doctor was a little surprised, though, because when she finished listening to my heart and breathing she said:

"Oh, you have the heart of an athlete!"

I think I said something intelligent back like:  "well, um, yeah, um I been exercisin"  (You have to remember, this is the same woman who once told me that I should just go lose some weight if I wanted to feel better.)  Now, I know she was referring to my fantastic blood pressure and heart rate readings, but being of a philosophical bent I choose to believe that she meant I have the "heart" of an athlete.  Where "heart" is referring to that rare quality of perseverence and dedication that truly exceptional athletes have.  Does this mean I'm destined to become a truly exceptional athlete?  Has my excessively compassionate doctor started me on the road to the Iron Man triathlon?  Maybe not, but thinking about my athlete's "heart" made jogging on the treadmill this morning at the gym just a little bit easier.  And I dislike my doctor a little bit less today.

2 comments:

sues2u2 said...

I think we should challenge ourselves to walk a marathon. (I've always hated jogging). What do ya think? I'm not quite @ your "heart" level but still...

Pat said...

Isn't it just so nice when you go to the doctor and get such a nice surprise? I think so! Congratulations. Loosing weight is such a difficult thing, I know I need to but haven't found my athletes heart yet??? Seriously thought I am happy for you. Otherwise you are good too I assume.

Love ya,
Mom