Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Monday, July 26, 2010

The Chronicles of Why

Graeme has a lovely new favorite word: "why?"

"Graeme, get your shoes on and go outside."
"Why?"

"Graeme, get up to the table so we can have dinner."
"Why?"

"Graeme, go downstairs, get dressed, make your bed, put your jammas in the drawer, get your sandals on and go get in the van so we can go to the store."
"Why?"

"Graeme, I swear if you say 'why' one more time I'm going to strangle you!"
"Why?"

A couple of days ago, I went down to Graeme's room to get him up for the day. Before he was even fully awake, the first word out of his mouth was: "why?" The kicker is, I've tried explaining every time he asks "why", but if my explanation is longer than two seconds his eyes go all glassy and he doesn't hear a word I say. I've also tried saying "because I said so" or "because I'm your mother" but when I say one of those things, he throws a massive temper tantrum and refuses to do (or stop doing) whatever my request was in the first place.

I have to admit, I'm starting to understand why we're told not to question "why" when we're experiencing trials. Obviously Heavenly Father knows a lot more than I do and has my best interests at heart. Besides, hearing "why" from one child twenty times a day is bad enough, I can't imagine hearing it from billions and billions of children throughout all eternity. So the next time I'm tempted to ask "why", I'm going to think of Graeme and say to myself: "SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP!".

1 comment:

Pat said...

I remember that word, who on earth came up with it? It certainly wasn't a Mom. Love you,