Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

From my heart

I am (quite understandably, I think) very excited for school to start. That being said, however, school brings with it a whole different set of challenges and difficulties. The biggest challenge for me is dealing with teachers. Here's what I wish I could say to each one of them:

To my kids' teachers,

Thank you for taking on this most difficult responsibility of being a teacher. I know how much time, effort and money you put into getting where you are now. I understand how little respect, gratitude and compensation you are given. I truly appreciate your dedication and the sacrifices you make.

I also understand that each of my children will be one among many for you and that your concern is for the welfare of the class as a whole. I understand that you will do your best to teach each child how to read and write and get along with the other children. I think you will probably even do your best to get to know each child in your class a bit.

Here's what I want you to understand: each of my children is one among few for me. I only have three and their welfare is the highest priority for me. To me, my children are more precious than diamonds or gold, more important than the President of the United States, more intelligent than Albert Einstein, more beautiful than Tyra Banks and more creatively brilliant than Leonardo da Vinci. I accept that none of them is perfect but only grudgingly.

I accept that my children will, at times, misbehave and I will support you 100% as long as I feel that you are dealing with them fairly. But, because my children are so dear to me, if I feel that they are hurt, threatened or even just misjudged, I will come after you. I will use every weapon in my considerable Mommy Arsenal to make right whatever is wrong. I only have a few more years to be the center of their world, the Righter of Wrongs and Fixer of Breaks, and I won't force them to fight these battles alone until I feel they're ready.

I know that you will never love them as I love them, but if you treat them with kindness and understanding, they will love you. In fact, they will adore you.

Please understand, I willingly gave up my body, my mind, my money, my sanity and my freedom for these unique little people. I have worked endlessly to feed, clothe and nurture them. I have tried to instill in them the morals and faith that I believe will help them become the best people they can be. But you can wreck all of my hard work with one careless word, one unfair judgement, one cruel punishment. You hold my children's lives in the palm of your hand, you have all the power to lead and direct them; please, please take this stewardship seriously. Please, watch what you say and do. Please give them a chance.

Sincerely,
Chloe, Graeme and Kai's mom

4 comments:

Pat said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful thoughts. I loved reading them, it says what most of us feel and felt. I wish I had been more willing to stand nose to nose with some of the teachers you kids had. But, I thought they must know so much more than I did. How little I knew. Good for you.

Love ya,

sues2u2 said...

I was totally going to borrow some of the things you wrote because I loved everything you said but instead I linked back to you.

Way to go, Skipper, for sharing what most of us are thinking. I truly appreciate it.

Unknown said...

well said.. great post! : ) coming over from your sisters...

Mozi Esme said...

Beautiful thoughts. I think you speak for a whole lot of mommies out there, and I wish every teacher had the opportunity to read your letter...