Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, August 30, 2007

speech therapy

I went to the parents only night at the school for my kindergartener last night. It was very informative and helpful but talking with my kids' teachers always makes me feel like the world's biggest failure. This is not the teachers' fault. Before my kids start school, even though they drive me crazy, I manage to harbor the delusion that they are each perfect and will never misbehave or require "special" help at school. Consequently, when I speak to their teachers, my little glass house comes crashing down and I feel like I've failed. Last night I discovered that my son, who has been going to school for 3 days now, (only 2 and 1/2 hours a day, mind you) has already refused to do a classroom assignment, had to go sit by the teacher, had to sit out during recess and been noticed by the speech teacher. Surprisingly, I'm most upset about the speech teacher. Not because I didn't expect it, after all there are still days when I can't understand what he says and he's five! No, I'm upset because now there's another teacher that I'm going to have to interact with on a regular basis. I'm assuming that someday he'll either learn to behave or start taking medications that will force him to behave, but I'm just not sure that I'm going to survive dealing with teachers for the next twelve years. The irony is that I was a teacher before I went insane and became a stay-at-home mom and parents scared the crap out of me. Now I'm a parent and teachers scare the crap out of me. Will I ever win?

No comments: