Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Gift

I had an epiphany while watching The Biggest Loser the other day. (Great show, by the way) Bob (a trainer) was talking to Michael (the 500 pound contestant). Bob told Michael that he had been given a gift; the opportunity to come on the show and change his life around. "Wow!" I thought, as I jogged on my mini trampoline, "What a lucky duck! I wish I had been given that gift!" Bob then proceeded to tell Michael that he needed to embrace this gift and not waste it.

That was when it hit me: I have, in fact, been given that same gift! Well, I'm not going to be on The Biggest Loser, but I have the time, the means, the support and the knowledge necessary to change my life around! Most important of all, I have a fresh start every day! I arrived where I am in life as a direct result of the choices (good and bad) that I have made......but when I get up each morning, there is nothing forcing me to make those same choices! How have I missed this before?

Don't get me wrong, I didn't choose to end up 150 pounds overweight, but I DID choose to not exercise very regularly and overeat for the past 12 years. But I don't have to do that anymore!


When I tell people that I'm exercising and watching what I eat and that I've lost 40 pounds, their response is always the same: "I should do that" and my response is also always the same: "Yes, you should!" I love this picture of Kai sitting on the bouncy ball. He's looking ahead, not focusing on past hurts and disappointments. I think for a long time I was trapped by my mistakes, I thought I couldn't change, it was too hard.

Well, now I know better! I've been given this priceless gift of a fresh start every day. But guess what? So have you! No matter what the choices are that are weighing you down, decide right now to make new ones! Take that first step toward happiness and stop giving up on yourself every day! Honestly, the first step is the easiest. Do you want to know what my first step was? It was deciding to change. All the other steps are much harder, but you can't take all the other steps without taking the first step and you don't have to take all the other steps all at once, you just have to take them!

I apologize for being so long-winded, but I have a vested interest in the six of you who read my blog. You're my family! So I say this to you: If you haven't taken that first step, take it now! Embrace your gift! I have!

3 comments:

Pat said...

I really enjoyed what you wrote and I definitely need to do just what you are doing. I think I'll wait until I start to feel better other wise I'll probably collapse on the bicycle. I'm going to keep coming back to your post and reread it to give me the encouragement to write. I hope to talk to you tonight at the dinner and I have been watching what I eat - not so many rolls and more salad but I'll get there. Thanks again. I love you, Mom

Anna Dutson said...

That was really good! And I love that picture of Kai, little kids remind us about what life is supposed to be about!

Sues2u2 said...

This was awesome! You're right. Just keep going & don't give up. Thanks for the reminders & encouragement.

Love ya!!!